During the December RNA LUTC Meeting we met to discuss the latest updates for the Residential Infill Project and what some of our thoughts, concerns, and praise for it was. We went through the proposed draft items sequentially and recorded the questions as best we could as they came up. And were fortunate enough to have Marty Stockton from BPS in attendance to answer many of our questions.
Below you’ll find an overview of what we discussed that evening.
1. How can we better alert residents to projects that are in play like RIP?
2. Where can I find information for projects on vulnerable communities?
3. Who if any community members were consulted?
4. Will the process create gentrification with the RIP overlay?
5. Are there specific density goals for Richmond?
6. Can we structure requirements to improve process?
7. Are there incentives for relocating houses?
8. Are there incentives for relocating overhead electrical services to underground?
9. How could developers take advantage of RIP?
10. Why just one proposal on residential infill in lieu of 2 or 3 and why now? i.e., process/project fatigue/saturation.
11. Are there fee waivers for conversion of existing houses?
12. If conversions are used for AirBNB can their fees/taxes be assessed at “market rate”?
13. Does basement and attic square footage count towards FAR?
14. How can we see the worst-case outcome in advance to understand what we’re getting?
15. How can we make an FAR for entire parcels? i.e., larger ADU if under overall FAR for parcel.
16. Can we have a future discussion on tiny homes? i.e., how do tiny homes fit in with the big picture and how can we keep track of this topic?
Height + Setbacks
17. How is the lowest point determined- can the point be manipulated by piling up dirt/moving dirt around?
18. How can we make our slopes work for us?
19. Why increase the front setback from 10’-0” to 15’-0”?
20. Can there be more context-based rules?
21. Was consideration given to height being context-based?
22. What is the objective for the limit?
23. What does the amenity bonus allow?
24. Will this be done by homeowners versus developers?
25. Is creating affordable housing a goal?
26. Is demolition being incentivized?
27. Are there loopholes which will allow 4-6 units?
28. Do we need this density- have density goals already been met in some areas?
29. Do we want different housing opportunities in our neighborhood?
30. Are there incentives for encouraging waiving SDC fees for conversions?
31. Are there any conversions being “condo-ized”?
32. How can incentives be created for long term rentals?
33. Have there been studies of where the ‘a’ overlay will likely happen?
34. Will there be an equitable distribution of neighborhoods benefiting from the overlay?
35. Is there a way to incentivize to favor home owner’s over developers?
36. How is infrastructure being addressed- is it?
37. Can more parks be added?
38. Can incentives be created for areas that meet development standards?
39. How does low income housing work (80% MFI) with rental versus ownership properties- is there an affordability bonus?
40. Can design be regulated to have minimum impact on adjacent home owners- are there policy tools being used for analysis?
41. How many SF are allowed- how does FAR work?
42. Can multifamily dwellings be created in single family dwelling zones? i.e., creating the missing middle.