Quick Tips / Seasonal Tips
- Rake leaves from street storm drains to prevent flooding (it rains a lot here!)
- Clear out gutters to prevent home flooding
- Change out batteries in all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
- Have furnaces, wood stoves and chimneys cleaned and inspected by qualified personnel before the cold season arrives
- Turn off water to outside spigots and cover them to prevent pipes from freezing and then bursting
- Clean out the lint form your dryer before each load to prevent fires
- Keep the area around the furnace and hot water heater free form clutter
- If a fuse or breaker blows, find the cause and call an electrician if you suspect a bad wire or connection
- If using a fireplace, burn only small loads of wood or follow instructions when using artificial logs. Never burn newspapers or gift wrappings in the fireplace; they create high, hot flames that can start a chimney fire.
- Use a metal fireplace screen or tempered glass door enclosure. Be sure the fire goes out completely before leaving home or going to bed.